- About Us
- Our Work
- Financial Stability
- Workplace Campaign
- Loaned Executive Leadership Program
- Emerging Leaders Society
- Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
- Day of Caring
- United Way 2-1-1
- Non Profit Training Series
- Our Partners
- Our Community
- Members Only
Learn a new skill, build your resume, and help your community!
United Way of Escambia County is seeking volunteers for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). VITA volunteers provide free help and prepare tax returns for those with low-to-moderate income. In 2013, 52 volunteers helped return over $900,000 in earned income tax credit and a total of over $2.8M in refunds to 2,055 families in our community. The overall financial impact of this initiative was $3.3M.
As a VITA volunteer, you will:
- Volunteer in the role of either as a Tax Preparer or a Greeter.
- Be able to commit one to four hours per week from January 20th through April 15th.
- Receive IRS training and certification.
- Expand your knowledge of federal tax return procedures.
- Add a new skill to your resume.
- Receive CRA credit (for depository institutions only).
- Serve local citizens and help stimulate the local economy.
VITA Site locations will include Pensacola State College (multiple campuses), Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, Central Credit Union (Spring Street branch) and St. Sylvester Catholic Church in Navarre. Pensacola State College-Main Campus will open January 20th. All other sites will open the week of February 3rd. Dial 2-1-1 for all VITA site locations, dates, and times open.
Tax Preparer: Prepare clients' tax returns based on certification level obtained through the IRS online training modules. United Way will provide the resources and materials needed to complete training; some hard copies are available. The online portion of the training can be completed at the volunteer's pace. Tax Preparer volunteers will need to attend one orientation session.
Greeter: Greets clients as they arrive and ensures that clients have all required documents. Greeters will need to complete the Ethics Training from the IRS training modules online.
VITA is funded through grants awarded to United Way of Escambia County from Wal-Mart, Regions Bank, Bank of America, and United Way Worldwide.
If you are interested in becoming a VITA volunteer, please call 850-434-3157 or email your name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.