Throughout the shutdown, United Ways around the country have been providing a host of services to federal workers and others, including financial services and counseling, emergency assistance for food, rent, and other immediate needs.
Across the state of Florida, there are 79,771 federal employees, totaling 3.9% of nationwide federal employment, per Governing.com. Of those, there are 15,992 employees in agencies without appropriations, the 7th highest total in the country.
“We understand how difficult it is for many of the individuals and families affected by the government shutdown,” said United Way of Escambia County President & CEO, Laura Gilliam. “United Way of Escambia County is committed to identifying resources and to connecting those who are struggling with assistance.”
There are a number of local and national organizations that are providing additional support to individuals and families affected by the shutdown.
Local Support Services
- 211 Northwest Florida offers free, confidential, and available 24/7 simply by dialing 2-1-1 or visiting 211nwfl.org. Individuals affected locally may contact 211 Northwest Florida, a program of United Way of Escambia County, to speak with an information and referral specialist about what services and resources are available to them in the area.
- Escambia River Electric Cooperative is offering assistance to federal employees directly affected by the government shutdown. EREC will not disconnect electric service during the furlough for federal workers that make arrangements with the utility. Federal employees must submit a copy of their furlough letter in person or by email to email@example.com to qualify for payment arrangements. For more information, contact EREC members services at (850) 675-4521.
- USO Northwest Florida continues to serve as drop-off sites for donations.
- Manna is offering grocery assistance to federal workers and Coast Guard members affected by the government shutdown. Please call 850-432-2053 or visit here for more information.
National Support Services
- United Way Worldwide announced the establishment of the United for U.S. Fund. For more information, visit here.
- Resources and information related to benefits, service providers, and financial institutions. For more information, visit here.
- Navy Federal Credit Union is offering assistance to members affected by the government shutdown. For more information, visit here.