Learn a new skill, build your resume, and help your community!
United Way of Escambia County is seeking volunteers for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). VITA volunteers provide free help and prepare tax returns for those with low-to-moderate income. In 2013, 52 volunteers helped return over $900,000 in earned income tax credit and a total of over $2.8M in refunds to 2,055 families in our community. The overall finacial impact of this initiative was $3.3M.
As a VITA volunteer, you will:
- Volunteer in the role of either as a Tax Preparer or a Greeter.
- Be able to committee one to four hours per week from January 14th through April 15th.
- Receive IRS training and certification.
- Expand your knowledge of federal tax return procedures.
- Add a new skill to your resume.
- Receive CRA credit (for depository institutions only).
- Serve local citizens and help stimulate the local economy.
VITA Site locations will include Pensacola State College (multiple campuses), Friendship Missionary Baptist Chruch, Central Credit Union (Spring Street branch), St. Sylvester's in Navarre, and possibly at the University of West Florida. Sites will open January 14, 2014.
Site Coordinators: Assist in coordination, organization and supervision of VITA site. Includes overseeing the site operation during the filing season, scheduling of volunteers, and preparing taxes for the clients.
We are in need of Volunteer Site Coordinators for our new sites!
If you have volunteered with VITA in the past or are new and are interested in helping our new sites, please contact Lyndi Smith for the particular sites, dates, and times.
- Site Coordinator Training will be on Friday, December 13th from 9:00am-12:00pm at the United Way Office.
Tax Preparer: Prepare clients' tax returns based on certification level obtained through the IRS online training modules. United Way will provide the resources and materials needed to complete training; some hard copies are available. The online portion of the training can be completed at the volunteer's pace. Tax Preparer volunteers will need to attend one orientation session. Location of the Information Session/Orientation will be at the United Way of Escambia County Office, 1301 W. Government St. Dates and times include:
- Tuesday, December 10th: 4:30pm - 5:30pm
- Wednesday, December 18th: 5:15pm - 6:15pm
- Friday, December 13th: Meet and Greet for new volunteers. Our IRS Representative will be here to answer questions and walk you through Link and Learn online training modules. This will be held at United Way's office from 1:00-3:00pm.
Greeter: Greets clients as they arrive and ensures that clients have all required documents. Greeters will need to complete the Ethics Training from the IRS training modules online. Greeters will need to attend one orientation session (which will include Ethics Training). Time and location to be determined; Orientation dates for Greeters include:
Wednesday, January 8th
VITA is funded through grants awarded to United Way of Escambia County from Wal-Mart, Regions Bank, Bank of America, and United Way Worldwide.
If you are interested in becoming a VITA volunteer, please call 850-444-7128 or email your name and contact information to email@example.com.