To provide dental treatment for those in Florida’s First Congressional District who formerly served in the United States Armed Services that lack the financial ability to obtain treatment.
- District 1 has the largest veteran’s population per capita by congressional district.
- Only 50% of adults have visited a dentist during the past year and 58% have had teeth removed because of decay or disease (FDOH).
- Escambia County is ranked the 27th poorest county out of the 67 total counties in Florida.
- More than 65,000 registered veterans call Escambia or Santa Rosa County home.
- Local licensed dentists have agreed to volunteer their services for this program.
- Veterans at or below 200% of federal poverty level may qualify.
- United Way administers the program, makes appointment referrals, maintains records and issues payments for the lab work.
- Clubs, organizations and individuals are encouraged to help raise funds for veterans in need.
- Pilot program launches in 2016.
- Launching full emergency dental care as funding becomes available.
- Over a twelve month period, Veteran Services Offices (VSO) have received 150 requests for veteran dental care.
HOW VETERANS CAN GET HELP
Emerald Coast Honor Smile will provide dental services to uninsured, honorably discharged veterans with income at or below 200% of federal poverty level. **Must live in Escambia or Santa Rosa County.
TO APPLY, VETERANS WILL NEED
- Proof of income
- $30 registration fee
- DD form 214
- To regisiter, Dial 2-1-1 from your phone.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
While all dentists provide their services for free, veterans needs your help to cover the laboratory costs. Several labs are participating by offering their services at a discounted rate. Henry Schein has also agreed to restock dental inventory for participating dentists. Help veterans get their smiles back!
If you are a dentist or a lab representative and would like to volunteer your services through Emerald Coast Honor Smile Dental Program, call (850) 434-3157 or dial 2-1-1.
If you would like to support our veterans and the Emerald Coast Honor Smile Dental Program, you can donate by calling United Way at (850) 434-3157 or by visiting unitedwayescambia.org/honorsmile.